POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Persistence of Fashion : Re: Persistence of Fashion Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:21:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Persistence of Fashion
From: Alain
Date: 5 May 2011 14:39:10
Message: <4dc2eece$1@news.povray.org>

> Am 04.05.2011 01:03, schrieb gregjohn:
>
>> I really like this one.
>
> That does somehow surprise me as I had the impression you dislike
> photo-realistic attempts in general. No uncanny valley of shoes here? ;)
>

> -Ive

In my understanding, the "uncanny valey" apply almost uniquely to the
rendering of human and animal figures. Our brain is made to recognise
natural things. When you reproduce a face, it's OK if the face is
stylised, abstracted, exagerated or obviously non-human.
If that face is to good to pass as stylised or exagerated, but not quite
good enough, you feel uneasy.

When you render made or manufactured things, our brain is MUCH more
forgiving: It's something /artificial/ after all...
If the rendering of an object is to good to pass as an abstraction,
stylisation or exageration, our brain don't have the same expectation
about that. Without the expectation, there is no longer that unease feeling.

Alain